Data Architect (Vermont)
NextCapital's Digital Advice Platform is a holistic service built around the investor, providing world-class advice at an affordable price. It is the only service that offers integrated planning, advice, and portfolio management capabilities. Because of the breadth of advice services, NextCapital serves a broad range of investor types, from the low-balance beginning investor to the sophisticated high net worth investor.
Learn more about NextCapital at www.themuse.com/companies/nextcapital
JOIN OUR TEAM
We're looking for an organized and highly motivated Data Architect to join our team. You will work closely with our designers and developers to ensure that the database structures for the NextCapital Digital Advice Platform are correctly designed for current and future needs. You’ll also work with our Data/Analytics team to plan, build, and maintain the reporting and analytics platform - this will be used both internally for strategic decision-making by NextCapital leadership and externally through an interface for partners to access relevant data, both operational and strategic.
The ideal candidate is results-driven, able to break down complex problems, uses prototypes to quickly test out possible solutions, and can learn new tools, languages, and DBMS’s on the fly.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Serve as the NextCapital Data Architect, to provide oversight to our data activities.
- Review and modify the security/permissions implementation
- Implement review processes for schema changes
- Analyze loads and performance, and suggest solutions to bottlenecks
- Manage Data Architecture and Catalog for Snowflake Computing, MySQL, MS SQL Server, MongoDB, and other databases.
- Establish and contribute to documentation
- Provide guidance for new application features
- Suggest and work collaboratively to effect architectural improvements
- Design and work collaboratively to implement Metadata Management, Master Data Management and data element lineage traceability
- Refactor and work collaboratively to implement overall Data Management Lifecycle - Master Audit trail, backups, long term retention, DR/BC
- Consult on XML and JSON schema Architecture/Designs
- For the reporting/analytics platform:
- Review and provide feedback for our full and incremental load processes, which include the use of a third-party ETL/ELT/CDC utilities (Talend, Amazon Glue/Kinesis, FiveTran, and Streamsets are being evaluated), as well as custom solutions.
- Build/Update schemas within Snowflake Computing based on reporting, analytics, and data science requirements
- Provide assistance for creating models/objects within our Data Visualization software (Looker)
- Monitor and improve performance of pipelines, capacity loads and query times
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- You have broad general database data architecture and implementation skills and 7+ years of data warehouse/database administration and architecture experience
- Recent experience with ETL/ELT, Data Warehousing, and Reporting/Analytics
- Solid DBA skills
- Superior SQL skills
- Superior scripting/coding skills
- Demonstrable ability to learn and become productive on new platforms and tools quickly.
- You are a team player, able to work with coworkers in the product and technology areas, as well as upper management.
- You have strong communication skills and can convince people to buy into your vision
- You are constantly learning, driven to understand the data content of what other product areas produce, and give your opinion on how best to expose it to internal and external audiences.
- Plus: You are adept at figuring out how to adjust solutions to meet an expected timeline.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE IT
- Disrupt the financial advice industry by bringing affordable, easy to use financial tools to millions of people
- Enjoy a laid back work environment & learn from FinTech’s best & brightest
- Receive great benefits like stock options, 401(k) match, and employer contributions to health, dental and vision coverage
- Join a fast growing company where you can have a real impact on the company's future
- Participate in company-sponsored cornhole leagues, company outings, wine tastings, fantasy football leagues, hackathons and other fun events
- Enjoy a newly built office space on the top floor of the Karma Bird House building, overlooking Lake Champlain, in Downtown Burlington
- Sip locally roasted coffee, kombucha, or craft beer at your modular sitting/standing desk
- Participate in women in tech events and service days at local organizations
- Enjoy monthly, company wide, guided meditation sessions